- Leicester City – This weekend they defeated Southampton 1-0 to extend their lead at the top of the Premier League to 7 points. They were helped as Liverpool drew 1-1 with Tottenham. This allowed for Leicester to extend their lead on Sunday. They did and now look favorites to win the Premier League.
- Real Madrid – The winner of El Clasico is always a winner and this was a big step for Zidane and Perez. They came away from the Camp Nou just 7 points behind Barcelona and have given themselves a shot at catching their rivals. It will also be a big boost for them in terms of the Champions League and going into the summer.
- Borussia Monchengladbach – Gladbach came away as the big winners in Germany this weekend as they defeated Hertha Berlin 5-0. This propelled them into the top 4 as they are level on points with Leverkusen, but have a strong goal differential. They are now hopeful of returning to the Champions League next season.
- Atletico Madrid – The other Madrid club were probably the biggest winners on Saturday. They are now just 6 points behind Barcelona following the weekend and looked very impressive against Real Betis. They now face Barcelona at home and can go in with a lot of confidence.
- Roma – Their win this weekend has given them a great chance at qualifying for the Champions League next season. They have a 7 point lead on Fiorentina with just 7 games to go. They also defeated their city rivals 4-1 in the Roman Derby. Spalletti has really righted the ship.
- Barcelona – Their 39 game unbeaten run is over and they looked awful in the game. Some might have said that Barcelona looked like a team with two eyes on this Tuesday and their big showdown with Atletico Madrid. Can they turn this small dip in form around?
- Napoli – Their championship fight is basically over following their 3-1 defeat at Udinese. This defeat, coupled with Juventus’ 1-0 win over Empoli, means that the gap is now 6 points with just 7 games to go. They can overcome this gap, but with Juventus’ current form and the lack of European football for them means that Napoli will have to settle for second in the Serie A this season.
- Schalke 04 – This team had a perfect chance to close the gap on their top 4 rivals when they faced Ingolstadt this weekend. Inglostadt was in the middle of a winless streak that has seen them fall from a top four contender to middle of the table. Schalke needed to win to maintain their top 4 place, but they massively struggled losing 3-0. They are now outside of the European places and look to be in some trouble.
- Nice – This French club had dreams of Champions league football coming in to the weekend. However, they faced PSG this weekend and suffered a 4-1 defeat. Lyon and Rennes both came away with victories this weekend and jumped Nice. They will need to come back strong following this defeat.
- Newcastle United – This could be the end of their run in the Premier League following their defeat to Norwich this weekend. Rafa is still winless as manager of Newcastle. They are 6 points from safety and will struggle to find points if their current form continues.
Goals of the Weekend
James’ Goal – If you still have not seen this goal then here you go. Simply one of the best goals I have seen in a while. Payet against Crystal Palace.
My Goal – For my choice, I am going to go with Alessandro Florenzi and his superb volley in the Roman Derby.
Champions League Preview
The quarterfinals take place this week. The first legs will take place on Tuesday and Wednesday.
Barcelona vs. Atletico Madrid – Camp Nou, Barcelona – Tuesday
In the all Spanish affair, two of the giants face off. Barcelona will play host to Atletico Madrid as they look to continue their title defense. This should be an interesting game after this weekend. However, Barcelona has had the answers for Atleti this season, defeating them twice already. Did Barcelona get the wakeup call they needed this weekend? 2-1 to Barcelona.
Bayern Munich vs. Benfica – Allianz Arena, Munich – Tuesday
The German giants will be favorites to advance in this match up. They have been very strong recently and are only getting healthier each week. Benfica will be lucky to score an away goal. Look for Bayern to win this game easily. 3-0 to Bayern Munich.
Paris Saint-Germain vs. Manchester City – Parc des Princes, Paris – Wednesday
This is definitely the second biggest matchup of the round and probably the toughest to call. Both teams will dream of a trip to the semifinals and the first leg in Paris is critical. Look for PSG to try and put the game out of reach from City. Both teams have been very hit or miss recently. This game could go either way but I think the home team comes out ahead. 2-1 to PSG.
Wolfsburg vs. Real Madrid – Volkswagen Arena, Wolfsburg – Wednesday
The Spanish giants will be huge favorites in this matchup and should have a new sense of confidence following their 2-1 win at the Camp Nou. I think they take this confidence to Wolfsburg and guarantee themselves a spot in the semifinals. 3-0 to Real Madrid.