- How long will it take Frank de Boer to win his first game at Inter Milan? – We will have to wait another couple weeks to see if he can get his first win as manager of Inter Milan since his side drew 1-1 with Palermo. This was his first point of the season. His team dominated the game from a statistical perspective as any former Ajax manager would expect. They had 68% ball possession and 22 total shots but only managed a single goal. Palermo took the lead early in the second half thanks to a goal from Andrea Rispoli. Then in the 72nd minute, Inter found the back of the net as Mauro Icardi scored his first goal of the season. This game was a sign of improvement under de Boer, but not a good enough performance if Inter want to finish in the Champions League places.
- Can Hull City maintain their amazing start? – Almost. Mike Phelan and his side put up a great resilient performance this weekend but it was all for not. The game was still scoreless as the game went into the final minutes. As the game winded down, Wayne Rooney got by El Mohamady and sent a ball across the face of the goal and Marcus Rashford tapped it into the net. That was all United needed as they would go on to win the game 1-0. Hull City’s perfect run is over, but 6 points from their first three games will go a long way towards helping them stay up this season. As for United, Mourinho has them winning again as they maintained their perfect start. They are not alone as Chelsea and Manchester City have also won all three games so far. This could be an interesting three way race for the title this season.
- Can Atletico get a win against a promoted side? – No they cannot get their first win of the season. This weekend they traveled to Leganes this weekend and failed to get all three points. They dominated the statistics but could not find the back of the net. They did keep a clean sheet which means for the second straight week, Atleti drew with a promoted team. Diego Simeone will have to take a look at his squad before the end of the transfer window as they have struggled in the attacking end of the field. They have scored just 1 goal in two games against two teams that are new to the Primera Division. Their rivals have not helped Atleti. Real Madrid and Barcelona have both started with 2 wins out of 2. They have both been impressive this season as they look to race for the title this season. It might be just a two horse race this season.
- How will Carlo Ancelotti’s Bayern Munich set up and play? – Ancelotti started his campaign off with a bang. Bayern Munich started this season with a 6-0 win over Werder Bremen. Robert Lewandowski scored a hat trick in the first game of the season. Ribery, Alonso and Lahm all scored goals as well. Ancelotti went with a 4-3-3 this weekend and returned Philipp Lahm to right back. His midfield three of Vidal, Alonso, and Alcantara played really well and dominated the game. They had 70% possession and managed 27 total shots. This was exactly the start that Bayern would have been hoping for and was a massive statement to the league.
- Which French team will drop points first – Nice, Lyon, or PSG? – Technically it was Lyon who was the first team to drop points, but in fact all three of them dropped points this weekend. Lyon conceded 2 goals in the second half to Dijon to lose the game 4-2. Nice was the only team that earned a point this weekend as they drew 1-1 with Lille this weekend. Lastly, PSG lost 3-1 in Monaco. This was a huge statement by Monaco. Despite PSG having 67% ball possession, they only managed 6 total shots. After the results of the weekend, Monaco is on top of the table now with Guingamp and Nice. All three of those teams have not lost a game this season. This weekend might have helped to open up the French league and give us a competitive race for the title.
The Score After Week 3 (This Week’s Score)
Me – 21 (4)
Brad – 18 (3)
This weekend is an international break so I will be back on Monday with a preview of the Champions League group stages and some predictions on the group.