- Pep Guardiola vs. Jose Mourinho – Round 1 goes to Pep as his team defeated Manchester United 2-1 this weekend. Manchester City looked amazing in the first half. They were carving United apart. Mkhitaryan was terrible in his debut start for United. At halftime, Jose Mourinho pulled off Jesse Lingard and Mkhitaryan and put on Ander Herrera and Marcus Rashford. They made a great change and United looked much better, but it was not enough and they failed to score in the second half. Their goal came from a calamitous error made by Claudio Bravo in the first half. Bravo came for a cross and failed to catch the ball. It fell to the feet of Zlatan Ibrahimovic and the Swede buried the volley into the back of the net. This gave United hope just before half time. Pep Guardiola has now won 8 of the head to head matchups to Mourinho’s 3 wins with 6 draws. I personally cannot wait for Round 2.
- Can Las Palmas maintain their perfect start? – The answer is no and they were not the only team to suffer their first defeat of the season. Las Palmas took the lead early in the first half and had a lead going into the 89th minute. However, Pedro Bigas saw his second yellow card for a tackle in the box and was sent off for Las Palmas. Pablo Sarabia scored the penalty kick. Then in the 94th minute, Carlos Luna scored on a header to give Sevilla all three points. This was a tough one for Las Palmas as their undefeated run is over, but they could still be in the mix for a spot in Europe next season. Barcelona also suffered defeat to Deportivo Alaves at home this weekend. Luis Enrique rotated the squad quite a bit and it came back to hurt Barcelona as they struggled to settle. They are now 3 points behind Real Madrid and the pressure will be mounting on Enrique.
- How will RB Leipzig fare against the big boys? – They answered this question in a big way this weekend as they defeated Borussia Dortmund 1-0. Naby Keita scored the winner just 6 minutes after coming on to the field. Leipzig allowed Dortmund to have the ball as Dortmund had 66% possession, but they outshot Dortmund 10 to 8. They made their chance count and they now have their first big scalp of the Bundesliga. They are 1 of 6 teams that still have not lost this season. How high can they go in their first campaign?
- Can Genoa and Sampdoria keep up with Juventus? – We got an answer sort of to this question this week. Sampdoria was not able to keep pace as they lost 3-2 to Roma. Roma took the early lead thanks to Mohamed Salah but then fell behind 2-1 at half. In the second half, Edin Dezeko would tie the game and Roma legend Francesco Totti would score the winner from the penalty spot in the 93rd minute. We will have to wait and see about Genoa as their game was abandon due to weather. The pitch was being bombarded with hail this weekend. Juventus are now the only team to win all three of their opening games as they defeated Sassuolo 3-1. Higuain continues his great start with 2 goals in the first 10 minutes and Miralem Pjanic scored his first of the campaign. Roma and Napoli are just 2 points behind the leaders and will do their best to maintain that pace and try to push Juventus all season.
- How will Lyon and PSG bounce back? – Not very well is the answer. Lyon was defeated 3-1 at home against Bordeaux. They took a 1 goal lead thanks to Aldo Kalulu, but the game went in to halftime as 1-1. Maxime Gonalons was shown a straight red card in the 67th minute. It did not take long for Bordeaux to capitalize as they took the lead just 4 minutes after the red card. Jeremy Menez then assured the points in the 91st minute. They have now lost 2 games in a row. PSG did not suffer defeat but they were pegged back in extra time. They took the lead thanks to a Lucas Moura penalty kick. However, in the 93rd minute Robert Beric scored the equalizer. Neither PSG nor Lyon are in the top 4 of the league for the first time in a long time. Monaco seems to be just chugging along hoping to end the PSG domination.
The Score After Week 4 (This Week’s Score)
Me – 30 (9)
Brad – 25 (7)
This week is the first round of the Champions League and should be a great start. The game to watch tomorrow is PSG hosting Arsenal. The game to watch on Wednesday is Tottenham hosting Monaco. The greatest league in the world is back!!!!