- Can West Ham put an end to their 4 game losing skid? – After winning their first game in the Olympic stadium, the wheels have fallen off for the Hammers. They have lost 4 straight and are now in the relegation zone. After a fantastic first season under Slavan Bilic, the goals were just a little bit higher this season especially with their brand new stadium. The season started with a defeat on the road but then West Ham were able to win their opener in the London Stadium. Since that opening 1-0 win against Bournemouth, they have thrown away a 2 goal lead and conceded 7 goals in two games at home. They have conceded a total of 11 goals in their last 3 games. The goals have also dried up as they have only scored 7 goals all season, including 2 each in back to back 4-2 defeats. This week they host Middlesbrough as they look for their second win of the season. Middlesbrough has had their own troubles this season as they are in the middle of a three game losing streak themselves. Can West Ham right the ship or is Bilic on his way out soon?
- Can Real Madrid get back to winning ways in the league? – Los Blancos are on top of the league right now as they are 1 of three teams that have not suffered defeat this season, but they have drawn their last 2 games in the league. Zidane will hope to turn that all around this weekend as they return home to face Eibar. Eibar has been a tough team this season, winning 3 of their opening 6 games and only conceding 1 goal per game on average. Real Madrid, on the other hand, is averaging 2.5 goals per game. This is a game that will feature one of the best offensive teams and a strong defensive team. Eibar will set up to defend first and then counter Real Madrid. They have been good at that as they have defeated Valencia and Real Sociedad and drawn with Sevilla despite being down 2 men. Real Madrid will be heavy favorites this weekend but 3 points is not for sure.
- Is France becoming one of the better title races? – It has been a while since we have been able to say that we are not sure who is going to win the French race. I am not sure if that means that this title race is going to be good or if another team will run away with it, but it seems like it could be a good one. PSG has lost twice this season already and they sit outside of the Champions League places right now. Lyon is down in 9th place and looks to be struggling since Alexandre Lacazette got injured. Nice is on top of the table as they are the only team that is still unbeaten in the league. Monaco sits in second just 1 point behind Nice. In fact, the top 7 teams are all within 5 points of each other. This is shaping up to be a great season in Ligue 1.
- Mauro Icardi is lighting up the Serie A – The Inter frontman has scored 6 goals in the first 6 games of the season. Inter has scored 8 goals all season. That is 75% of the goals scored by Icardi. In fact, he has scored the same amount of goals as Inter has conceded this season. Inter has started the season very well as they have 11 points so far and are currently in third place. Mauro Icardi is showing the world how good he can be and if he is able to keep this up, then he might be able to return Inter to their past glories and back into the Champions League. This weekend, Inter face off with Roma who are also looking to compete for a spot in the Champions League. This should be a great game and it will be interesting to see if Icardi can keep up his 1 goal a game average.
- How long can Bayern go unbeaten this season? – Carlo Ancelotti is having a dream start to the Bundesliga as his Bayern side has a perfect 5 wins from 5 so far and this weekend they face off with Koln, the only other unbeaten team in the Bundesliga. Bayern are on top of the table and have a 3 point lead on Dortmund and a 4 point lead on Koln. They have scored an average of 3 goals a game and conceded just once all season. Lewandowski has scored 5 goals this season. They are the strongest side in the country and will look to make a long run unbeaten this season. They face Koln this weekend and then Eintracht Frankfurt, Monchengladbach, Augsburg, and Hoffenheim before their November 19th showdown in Dortmund. Can they make it to that game? Will they make it past that game? It should be interesting to watch, especially if they survive this weekend.
The Score After The Midweek Games
Me – 60 (2)
Brad – 38 (1)
5 Games to Watch This Weekend
Tottenham vs. Manchester City – The final two unbeaten teams in the Premier League meet in London this weekend. They both are coming off midweek Champions League games in which Tottenham traveled to Moscow and earned 3 points, meanwhile Manchester City traveled to Glasgow and drew 3-3 with Celtic. City has been dominating in the league and will hope to continue their domination this weekend. Harry Kane is still missing with an injury for Tottenham. Kevin De Bruyne and Kompany are out injured with Nolito missing the game due to his three match ban.
My Pick – Tottenham 1, City 2: Heung-Min, Aguero, Sterling
Real Madrid vs. Eibar – The defending European Champions are looking to get back to winning ways this weekend as they host Eibar. Real Madrid has won 5 games against Eibar in a row including 4-0 and 2-0 last season. This season they will look to continue that streak. Casemiro and Marcelo are out for Real Madrid and Galvez is out for Eibar. That will be a big miss for Eibar. I think Galvez might be the difference in the game and give Real Madrid their first win in the last 3 La Liga games.
My Pick – Madrid 2, Eibar 0: Benzema, Ronaldo, and Leon
Bayer Leverkusen vs. Borussia Dortmund – In what has to be the undercard to the battle between Munich and Koln, these two teams will meet in Leverkusen. Dortmund is currently in second place just 3 points behind Bayern Munich. They can catch Munich if they slip up this weekend. Leverkusen started slowly and will be looking to right the ship this weekend. Bellarabi, Yurchenko, and Pohjanpalo are out for Leverkusen. For Dortmund the list is quite long. They are without Reus, Bender, Durm, Subotic, Bartra, and Joo-Ho.
My Pick – Leverkusen 1, Dortmund 2: Chicarito, Aubameyang, and Dembele
Roma vs. Inter – Inter are one of the hottest teams in the league right now as they are unbeaten since the first weekend of the season. They are lead by Mauro Icardi who has scored 6 goals this season and Perisic has the other 2 goals for Inter. Roma meanwhile have slumped lately losing 2 of their last 3. They had ambitions of winning the league this year but they will need to turn around their current form. Rudiger, Rui, and Vermaelen are out injured for Roma. Inter is without Andreolli, but Joao Mario is a doubt.
My Pick – Roma 3, Inter 2: Perotti, Dzeko, Salah, Icardi, and Perisic
Lyon vs. Saint-Etienne – The Derby Rhone-Alpes takes place this weekend as Lyon host Saint-Etienne. Both clubs have a long history in Ligue 1 and against each other. Most seasons they are both in and around the top 3 of the Ligue 1. This season has not gone as planed so far. Lyon’s leading scorer is Alex Lacazette and Lyon’s form reflects the lost of Lacazette. They are also without Gonalons and Yanga-Mbiwa due to suspension and Grenier and Jallet through injury. Etienne also has a long injury list with Perrin, Polomat, M’Bengue, Saivet, Lemoine, Pogba, and Gabriel all out. Three points will go a long way for both teams.
My Pick – Lyon 2, Etienne 1: Fekir, Cornet, and Beric