- Will we have a new team on top of the Premier League? – No but it is tight at the top. Manchester City opened the door for another team to take the top spot this weekend when City drew 1-1 with Everton on Saturday. Romelu Lukaku opened the scoring in the second half. City missed two penalties but Nolito eventually leveled the score. This means that Tottenham could go top of the table, but they also needed a comeback goal. Nacer Chadli scored against his old club Tottenham to give West Brom a lead with 8 minutes to go in the game. Dele Alli then scored the equalizer in the 89th minute of the game. Arsenal closed the gap on City as they defeated Swansea City 3-2 despite going down to 10 men. Then Liverpool played a scoreless draw today with Manchester United. This means that City is still top, but level on points with Arsenal. Tottenham is a point behind them and Liverpool is 2 points back.
- How will Barcelona respond? – The answer is good but it does not help that all of the top 6 in Spain won this weekend. Barcelona took the lead thanks to Rafinha. He would double the score just 15 minutes later. Suarez would put the game out of reach just before halftime. Then Leo Messi came on in the second half and with his third touch of the game, he scored the fourth and final goal. This means that Barcelona got back to winning ways and is feeling good ahead of Pep’s return this week. However, they are still 2 points back from the Madrid clubs. Atletico Madrid put 7 past Granada and Real Madrid scored 6 against Betis. Barcelona is in need of some help if they are to get back to the top of the table.\
- Can Ingolstadt or Hamburger get their first win of the season? – While neither team was able to get their first win of the season, Hamburger was able to get their second point of the season and move off the bottom of the table. Hamburger went to Monchengladbach and drew 0-0. This is their second draw of the season. Ingolstadt gave up two first half goals to Koln and that pretty much sealed the defeat for them. They were able to get a late consolation goal. Both teams will turn their sights to next weekend. Hamburger gets to host Eintracht Frankfurt. Frankfurt is in 8th place on the table. Ingolstadt hosts the high flying Borussia Dortmund. This could be a tough weekend in the season for both of these teams.
- Will we ever see another close Serie A campaign? – Maybe next year. Juventus got another victory this weekend and is now 5 points clear having just lost 1 game this season. Napoli was second before the weekend and is now 5th thanks to their 3-1 defeat against Roma. Roma jumped to 2nd thanks to the win but they are still a way off Juventus. The race for the other Champions League places is going to be interesting. The distance between 2nd and 8th is just 3 points. This is what will be worth watching as the season goes on. AC Milan seems to have righted the ship as they are in third place now. Juventus looks set for another Scudetto this season but there is always hope.
- Can PSG respond to Nice and Toulouse winning already this weekend? – The answer is yes. PSG got two first half goals from Moura and Cavani. This put the game out of reach, however, Diarra would pull Nancy one back but it was not enough. PSG would get the win and move into 2nd place. They are 4 points behind Nice and level on points with Monaco. This sets up an interesting weekend next weekend as Monaco host Montpellier first. Then Nice travels to Metz and finally PSG hosts Marseille. This could be the weekend that PSG reclaims the top spot in the league as they seem to be settling into good form.
Me – 68 (8)
Brad –42 (4)
Games to Watch This Week
Tuesday – Lyon vs. Juventus – Lyon France will host the game to watch on Tuesday. Juventus is on top of the group table with a win and a draw so far this campaign as they defeated Dinamo and drew with Sevilla. Lyon meanwhile defeated Dinamo but lost against Sevilla. A win for either team could be the difference between advancing and going home early.
Wednesday – Barcelona vs. Manchester City – Pep returns to the Camp Nou this week as he brings Manchester City to Barcelona. His City side has failed to win in their last 3 games. Now they face a Barcelona team that will be looking to make a statement. Can Pep get 3 points in his old home or will Barcelona send a reminder to the rest of the world?
Thursday – Manchester United vs. Fenerbache – Manchester United will look to get their second win in the Europa League this week as they host Fenerbache. The Turkish side is top of the table so far following their victory over Feyenoord and their draw with Zorya. Manchester United defeated Zorya last time out after losing to Feyenoord in the opening round. United will be in need of 3 points this week.