- Le Classique – This was not the game to watch in France this weekend as PSG did not have the ability to break down a well disciplined and defensive Marseille. It was a point that did not really help PSG, as Nice continued their spectacular form. Nice was tied with Metz before they scored twice in the last 6 minutes of the game. Nice are now 4 points clear of Monaco and 6 points clear of PSG. This is starting to look better and better for Nice each week and might be the end of the PSG reign on Ligue 1.
- How will Manchester City respond? – I think this is more of a mixed response. They came back and earned a point this weekend against Southampton that keeps them on top of the table, but makes it now a month since their last win. They get the chance to get back to winning ways this week as they face off with Manchester United in the League Cup. Arsenal also failed to win this weekend as they drew 0-0 with Middlesbrough. Liverpool defeated West Brom 2-1 to move level on points with City and Arsenal. Chelsea made the statement of the weekend as they defeated Manchester United 4-0. They are now top 4, just a point behind the other 3. Tottenham have fallen to 5th following their draw with Bournemouth. The race is really tight and it is anybody’s call who will come out on top.
- Are Milan for real? – Potentially. They have such a young exciting team right now and they came away with a massive win against Juventus this weekend. Manuel Locatelli scored an absolute stunner for the match winner. Then at the end of the game Gianluigi Donnarumma saved the game with a beautiful save. This team is fantastic this weekend and did a great job earning all three points. Juventus stay on top but the gap is only 2 points between them and Milan and Roma. Napoli is 4 points behind Juventus. This is starting to look like a potential title race in Italy.
- Is this the weekend that the Madrid clubs slip up? – Kinda? Real Madrid needed a late goal from Morata to earn all three points and maintain their unbeaten season. Atletico Madrid suffered their first defeat of the season. They lost 1-0 to Sevilla this weekend. The top of the table is so tight that now Real Madrid is on top with 21 points. Sevilla sits in second with 20 points. Barcelona, who also needed a very late goal from the penalty spot to defeat Valencia, is now in third and 2 points behind Real Madrid. Villarreal maintained their unbeaten season as they defeated Las Palmas 2-1. Atletico has fallen to 5th place.
- How many unbeaten teams will we have in the Bundesliga after this weekend? – Three. Bayern Munich remained unbeaten after their 2-0 win over Monchengladbach. Leipzig remained unbeaten following a 3-1 win over Werder Bremen. Hoffenheim managed to win their 4th game of the season and stay unbeaten as they defeated Leverkusen 3-0. The only undefeated team to suffer defeat was Koln who lost their first game of the season 2-1 to Hertha Berlin. Munich are still on top of the table with a 2 point lead over Leipzig. Hertha is a point behind Leipzig and Hoffenheim is now in the top 4.
Score from the Weekend
Me – 72 (4)
Brad – 43 (1)
Team of the Weekend
G. Donnarumma (Milan)
R. Fanni (Marseille), Jemerson (Monaco), N. Maksimovic (Napoli), D. Alaba (Bayern Munich)
P. Coutinho (Liverpool), X. Shaqiri (Stoke), N. Keita (Leipzig)
N. Kalinic (Fiorentina), S. Ramirez (Malaga), F. Orellana (Celta Vigo)