- Chelsea look like the favorites to win the title. They had another strong performance this weekend as they defeated Middlesbrough 1-0. This means that they are now top of the table. They have the second best defense having conceded just 9 goals in the first 12 games. They are tied for the second best offense in the league. They are led by Eden Hazard who has scored 7 goals and Diego Costa has added 10 goals this season, including the only goal this weekend. The title race looks to be down to 5 teams now. Liverpool and Manchester City are a point behind and Arsenal is just 3 points back. Tottenham is 4 points behind the leaders. After that, there is a 5-point gap between Tottenham and United in 6th. This should be an interesting race this season but Chelsea are looking like the favorites right now.
- Real Madrid look determined to win the league. And Cristiano is back!! CR7 was on fire this weekend as he scored 3 goals against cross-town rivals Atletico. He opened the scoring in the first half and then scored twice in the second half within 6 minutes of each other. Real Madrid is the highest scoring team and the second best defense in the league now after this weekend. They are four points clear of Barcelona and 9 points clear from Atletico Madrid. The title race is far from over but this was a statement from Los Blancos. El Clasico is coming up just 2 weeks away!!!
- Bayern Munich are beatable. Borussia Dortmund did it. There are only two undefeated teams left in the Bundesliga and Bayern Munich is not one of them. This weekend they traveled to Dortmund and suffered their first defeat under Carlo Ancelotti. Aubameyang scored the only goal of the game thanks to an assist from Mario Gotze. This opens up the title race in Germany as Bayern are no longer on top. RB Leipzig maintained their unbeaten start with a 3-2 win over Leverkusen. Leipzig twice came back from a goal down to win the game and needed a big penalty save from Peter Gulacsi. Either way, Leipzig is on top of the league with a 3-point lead on Munich and Dortmund is now just 3 points behind Munich.
- Same old story in Italy. Juventus wins and the rest of the league fights for second best. Juventus has the best defense and the second best offense to go with their 7 point lead at the top of the table. This defense has been their rock for the last 5 years and looks to be leading them to another title. This weekend they defeated Pescara 3-0. This victory coupled with Roma’s 2-1 loss at Atalanta means that the lead at the top grows. AC Milan drew 2-2 with their rivals Inter Milan. Suso gave AC the lead twice but Inter was able to peg their way back to earn a point. A win would have sent Milan into second place. The next 5 teams in the table all won but they are all far from challenging Juventus. Will it be another year in Italy with another title for Juventus?
- We are in for a title race in France. Three teams are all within 3 points and the team on top is not PSG. Nice stayed on top of the table thanks to their 1-0 win over Saint-Etienne. Valentin Eysseric scored the only goal of the game. 3 points behind Nice are Monaco and PSG. Monaco defeated Lorient this weekend 3-0. Falcao scored his 5th goal of the season. Angel di Maria and Jese Rodriguez scored for PSG and the Parisians defeated Nantes 2-0. Monaco has the best offense in the league scoring 13 more goals than PSG and 15 more than Nice. PSG has the second best defense with 7 goals conceded but Nice is not far behind with just 9 goals conceded. This is going to be an interesting one, which is great for all the neutrals out there.
Tidbits from Around the Leagues
Premier League… Yaya Toure returned with a bang as he scored two goals to help Manchester City defeat Crystal Palace. The Southampton backline stood strong and kept Liverpool at bay in a 0-0 draw. Arsenal needed a late goal to get a draw with Manchester United. Bournemouth moved into the top half of the table as they defeated Stoke 1-0. Everton and Swansea played to a 1-1 draw. Sunderland got their second win of the table and moved off the bottom with a 3-0 win over Hull. Watford jumped out to an early lead and held on to defeat Leicester. Harry Kane scored twice in the final minutes to give Tottenham a huge 3-2 win. West Brom ended the weekend with a massive 4-0 win over Burnley to send them into the top half of the table…
La Liga … Barcelona was kept off the score sheet against Malaga in a 0-0 draw without Messi and Suarez. Sevilla came back from 2-0 down to defeat Deportivo La Coruna 3-2. Eibar defeated Celta 1-0, but the fun was after the game as Hugo Mallo was shown a red and Sergio Alvarez got a red on the bench. Athletic Bilbao defeated Villarreal 1-0 for their first win in four games. Real Betis scored two first half goals to defeat Las Palmas 2-0. Espanyol managed to win this weekend thanks to a late goal from Gerard Moreno after he missed a penalty kick just 2 minutes earlier. Valencia and Granada drew 1-1 for Granada’s fifth draw of the season. Leganes ended their four game losing run with a 2-0 win over Osasuna…
Bundesliga… Cologne got a massive late goal from Marcel Risse to defeat Gladbach 2-1. Mainz scored 4 this weekend to move into the top half of the table. Ingolstadt won their first game of the season as they defeated Darmstadt 1-0. Augsburg and Hertha drew 0-0. Schalke defeated Wolfsburg 1-0, which sees them move closer to the top half of the table. Hoffenheim remained unbeaten thanks to a second half equalizer from Nicolai Muller. Eintracht Frankfurt maintained their 5 game unbeaten run with a 2-1 win over Werder Bremen who has now lost 4 straight…
Serie A… Lazio defeated Genoa 3-1 this weekend in what was a much better weekend for the top half of the table than the bottom half. Of the top 10 teams in the table, everyone won except Inter, AC Milan and Roma. In the bottom half of the table, Bologna and Sampdoria were the only teams to win. Bologna defeated Palermo 3-1. Sampdoria defeated Sassuolo 3-2. Lazio defeated Genoa 3-1 to stay in 4th place. Napoli won for the first time in 3 games as they defeated Udinese 2-1. Fiorentia scored 4 as they defeated Empoli. Torino defeated Crotone 2-0 to win their second in a row…
Ligue 1… Lyon continued their winning run as they defeated Lille 1-0. Nancy defeated Dijon to help them move from 19th to 18th place. Bastia and Montpellier drew 1-1. Angers was able to come back and earn a point despite conceding in the first half and then going down to 10 men early in the second half. Metz defeated Toulouse 2-1, but Toulouse scored their goal in the 5th minute of added time. Guingamp and Bordeaux drew 1-1 thanks to late goal from Jimmy Briand. Marseille won their first game in 4 as they defeated Caen 1-0.
Team of the Weekend
Carlos Kameni (Malaga)
Bruno (Real Betis), Nathan Ake (Bournemouth), Luca Rossettini (Torino) Inigo Martinez (Real Sociedad)
Federico Bernardeschi (Fiorentina), Federico Viviani (Bologna), Sami Khedira (Juventus)
Cristiano Ronaldo (Real Madrid), Suso (Milan) Eden Hazard (Chelsea)