- Can United or Tottenham get a vital 3 points? Manchester United was able to get a vital three points this weekend with a 1-0 win over Tottenham. This means that they are now in 6th place and just 3 points behind Tottenham. They are now 6 points behind the top four and 13 points behind Chelsea. The title might not be in sight for Manchester United but the top four is still a target right now. Henrik Mkhitaryan scored the only goal of the game for his first premier league goal of the campaign. He is really starting to show his quality but then he had to be subbed off with an ankle injury. His quick return will be very important for United.
- Who will prevail in the battle for second in Italy? Roma were able to come away with the three points this weekend to set up a major title battle with Juventus this upcoming weekend. Roma stays within 4 points of Juventus. Meanwhile Milan is not 7 points behind Juventus. Radja Nainggolan scored the only goal of the game. Mbaye Niang had his penalty saved in the first half that could have given Milan a lead. This was a vital win for Roma and if they can take 3 points next weekend then we might have a potential title race on our hands.
- Can Barcelona get a win this weekend? Yes they can. Barcelona was able to defeat Osasuna 3-0 thanks to a goal from Luis Suarez and a brace from Leo Messi. The game was tied 0-0 at halftime but Barcelona were able to eventually over power Osasuna and put the game out of reach. This win ended their run of 4 straight draws. They are still 6 points behind Real Madrid but they can cut it to 3 if they win next weekend since Real Madrid are done for the year as they play in the Club World Cup.
- How long will the unbeaten season last? 13 games is the answer surprisingly. Leipzig lost this weekend 1-0 to then bottom of the table Ingolstadt. Roger scored the only goal in the 12th minute. In the 94th minute, Mathew Leckie was sent off for arguing but there was not enough time left for Leipzig to come back in the game. This coupled with Bayern’s win means that Leipzig is now second in the table due to goal difference. This loss means that next week is very important for Leipzig as they face Bayern Munich in two weeks.
- Can Nice distance themselves from PSG? The game of a weekend was a good one. Nice took a 2-0 lead into halftime thanks to goals from Cyprien and Plea. Edinson Cavani scored twice in the second half to earn a draw for PSG. This means that Nice stays on top of the table but their lead is only 1 point. PSG remains four points behind Nice. The title race is still very close but this was a big step for Nice if they are going to hold on to win the title.
Premier League…Watford defeated Everton 3-2 this weekend to send them up to 7th in the table. Swansea City earned their 3rd win of the season as they defeated Sunderland 3-0. Chelsea stayed on top of the table thanks to their 9th straight win with a 1-0 win over West Bromwich Albion. Diego Costa scored his 12th goal of the season. Arsenal kept pace thanks to their 3-1 win over Stoke City. Leicester City scored the biggest win of the weekend as they defeated Manchester City 4-2. Liverpool also lost ground on the leaders as they drew 2-2 with West Ham.
Serie A… Crotone got their second win of the season thanks to their 2-1 win over Pescara. Lazio defeated Sampdoria to move into 5th place. Napoli defeated Cagliari 5-0 to move them into 5th place. Atalanta suffered their second defeat in a row as they lost 3-1 to Udinese. Juventus won the Turin Derby as they defeated Torino 3-1 thanks to a Higuain brace. Bologna and Empoli played out a 0-0 draw. Inter defeated Genoa 2-0 thanks to a brace from Brozovic. Nikola Kalinic scored twice to give Fiorentina a 2-1 win.
Bundesliga…Bayern Munich defeated Wolfsburg 5-0 this weekend to go back to the top of the table. Hamburger also got their second win of the season as they defeated Augsburg 1-0. Frankfurt and Hoffenheim played out a 0-0 draw. Freiburg defeated Darmstadt 1-0 to move them into the top half of the table. Dortmund dropped more points this weekend as they drew 1-1 with Koln. Hertha suffered their third defeat of the season as they lost 1-0 to Werder Bremen. Gladbach got a much needed 4th win of the season with a 1-0 win over Mainz. Leverkusen got a last minute winner from Stefan Kiessling to give them a massive mid-table win over Schalke.
La Liga… Sergio Ramos does it again as he helped rescue all three points in the 93rd minute. Real Madrid needed two goals in the final 10 minutes in order to win the game 3-2. This kept them on top of the league and guaranteed they would be there when the New Year starts. Sevilla defeated Celta Vigo 3-0 to stay in 3rd place. Villarreal defated Atletico Madrid 3-0 to move into 4th place. Atletico dropped all the way to 6th place. Malaga and Granada played to a 1-1 draw. Real Sociedad won this weekend 3-2 over Valencia to move into 5th place.
Ligue 1… Marseille defeated Dijon 2-1 to move into the top half of the table. Monaco defeated 4-0 thanks to a hat trick from Falcao. Nantes and Caen was postponed due to fog. Nancy defeated Angers 2-0 to move away from the bottom 3. Bastia also moved out of the bottom 3 with their 2-0 win over Metz. Lorient stayed on the bottom of the table as they lost 3-2 to Toulouse. Lille won their third in a row as they defeated Montpellier 2-1. Lyon won their 2nd in a row and moved into 4th place.
Team of the Weekend
Alexander Schwolow 8.2 (Freiburg)
Sebastian Prodl 8.2 (Watford), Phil Jones 8.2 (Manchester United), Jordi Alba 8.3 (Barcelona) Andreas Christensen 8.6 (Gladbach)
Marek Hamsik 9.3 (Napoli), Joao Mario 8.9 (Inter), Bruno Soriano 8.5 (Villarreal)
Lionel Messi 9.7 (Barcelona), Dries Mertens 9.2 (Napoli), Jamie Vardy 9.0 (Leicester)